Bathing a newborn could be an appalling experience. Your baby may not prefer it, either. With a little preparation, you would both begin to have a more pleasant feel at bath time. You should immediately begin to learn baby shower basics.
How regularly should you bath newborn?
You need not bath your newborn daily. You can make them have a bath three times a week. This might be enough until your baby grows further mobile. Bathing your baby too often could easily dry out his or her skin. Change the diapers when it filled up and clean the area that requires much attention. You can simply wipe the whole body and diaper parts for better freshness.
When should you bathe your baby?
The choice is up to you. You can choose a time while you are not hurried or possibly be disturbed or interrupted. Some parents prefer morning baths since their babies would be alert. Others would make their baby take a bath at night as a part of a quiet bedtime ritual. Do not try to bathe your infant immediately after feeding and it is better to wait for your baby’s stomach to settle a little first.
How about a sponge bath?
Many Pediatricians recommend sponge baths until the umbilical cord stump drops off and this might take one or two weeks. You should follow the following steps to give a sponge bath to your baby.
- First of all, you need to have a warm and flat-surfaced place such as a bath area or long table, or firm bed. These places would work perfectly for a sponge bath. You can also use a blanket or towel on the floor and even the pad hard surfaces with a blanket or towel will be enough to have a sponge bath.
- The next step is to spread out soft blanket, towel or changing pad and make your baby lie on it.
- You should certainly keep your one hand free and hold your baby on the other hand. If you use a changing table, then you should use the safety strap.
- You should make a sink or simple plastic basin for holding the water. You can also run warm water into the plastic basin or sink. Do not forget to check the temperature of the water with your bare hand and you should make sure that it is not too hot.
- You should keep all the essential supplies right nearby you and prefer best body wash for baby. You should collect all the baby cloths and towels that are required frequently. Take the bathing things such as baby wash, soap, a new diaper and changing clothes.
The first step to be followed while making your baby take bath is to take their clothes off. Then, gently cover a baby into any soft cloth. You should lay your baby on his or her back in the prepared place for taking bath. You should just try to keep your baby warm. You must only try to expose the baby’s body parts that you are about to wash and clean. The next step is to wet the washcloth thoroughly and strain out excess water. Take the washcloth to wipe your baby’s face. Slowly wipe each eyelid right from the corners of inside to the outside. You can clean your baby’s body by using plain water or a mild, moisturizing soap. You should pay special care to tucks under the arms, back ears, around the neck as well as in the diaper area. Additionally, you should wash your baby’s fingers and toes thoroughly.
What should I wash first?
Most parents begin with the baby’s face and clean down the dirtier parts of the body. This retains cleaned areas with soapy water again. If your baby has hair and if you think it requires washing, then you can go ahead with it. You need to gently massage your baby’s whole body with a drop of body wash. You need to cover your babe’s head with your hand and pour the water slowly in order to protect their eyes and to keep suds out of it. You can also use best body wash for baby for complete freshness.